Architecture in the Fourth Dimension: Methods and Practices for a Sustainable Building Stock was an international conference held at the Seaport World Trade Center in Boston, Massachusetts from Nov. 15 through Nov. 17, 2011.
The conference was the 17th annual meeting of the CIB Commission on Open Building Implementation and also served as the annual meeting for the CIB Commission on Informal Settlements and Affordable Housing. The annual conferences bring leading academics, practioners, and industry leaders from all over the world into a single forum and is considered to be one of the forefront events in the world addressing the subject of Open Building.
The conference - embedded in the 2011 Build Boston building and design industry trade show- engaged participants in considering architecture as a long-term investment imbued with the capacity for incremental change. The conference focused both on residential and healthcare architecture, and their potential intersection. Building for the long haul is an urgent societal agenda and a vital part of the goal of a sustainable built environment. But preparing buildings to last while adapting to inevitable change is not easy. New methods, business practices, policies and attitudes are called for.
CONFERENCE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
• Dr. Stephen Kendall, Conference Chair; Prof., Ball State University, Joint Coordinator, CIB W104
• Michael Gibson, Conference Co-Chair; Assist. Prof., Kansas State University
• Dr. Jia Beisi, Assoc. Prof., University of Hong King, Joint Coordinator, CIB W104
• Dr. Kazunobu Minami, Prof., Shibaura Institute of Technology, Tokyo; Joint Coordinator, CIB W104
• Dr. Shin Murakami, Prof., Sugiyama Jogakuen University, Nagoya; Joint Coordinator, CIB W104
• Michelle Jiang Yingying, Secretary for China Affairs, CIB W104. email@example.com
Visit the 2008 Open Building conference website: Education for an Open Architecture